Numbers in parentheses refer to the difference in school year compared to Greg. For example, when Greg is a sophomore, Brian (+2) is two grades older, a senior, and Phil (-1) is one grade younger, a freshman.
Some characters who are not a major part of the story are not listed, and last names are not always given if they are not mentioned in the story. This list will be updated as necessary.
- Greg Dennison: That’s me. I’m a student at the University of Jeromeville, in the western USA. I grew up in Plumdale, about 150 miles away.
- Mark Dennison (-6): My younger brother.
- Harold and Peggy Dennison: My parents.
- Miranda Lusk (-5): My cousin, Rick’s sister. Our moms are sisters.
- Rick Lusk (-2): My cousin, Miranda’s brother. Our moms are sisters.
University of Jeromeville students:
* indicates students who attend Jeromeville Christian Fellowship. ^ indicates students who were in the Interdisciplinary Honors Program with me (and also in my dorm). + indicates students who attend the Newman Catholic Student Community.
- *Abigail (Abby) Bartlett: Josh McGraw’s girlfriend.
- *Amelia Dye (+1): Scott Madison’s girlfriend. Melinda Schmidt is her roommate, and they have a cat named Alvin.
- Andrea Briggs: A student who has math classes with me sometimes.
- ^Bok: Real name is Heather Beck. She and Skeeter like to paint and listen to weird music. Currently shares an apartment with Danielle, Skeeter, and Theresa.
- *Brent Wang (-1): A student from JCF.
- *Brian Burr (+2): On the UJ track & field team. Lives with Shawn Yang and other guys from JCF in a house in south Jeromeville. My future roommate for year 3.
- +Carly Coronado (-1): Sings at the Newman Center with me. Her sister Danielle lived down the hall from me freshman year.
- ^*Caroline Pearson: Currently Liz’s roommate, upstairs from Jason and Ramon. Caroline was born in Australia.
- ^*Charlie Watson: Lives in an apartment with Taylor and Pete.
- ^+Danielle Coronado: Lived down the hall from me freshman year, now shares an apartment with Bok, Skeeter, and Theresa. Danielle sings in the UJ choir and at Mass at the Newman Center.
- *Eddie Baker: A student who attends JCF, roommates with Xander and six others. They live down the street from Haley and her roommates.
- *Haley Channing: A student from JCF, roommates with Kristina and Kelly and three others. They live down the street from Eddie and his roommates. Haley’s older brother Christian also attends UJ and JCF.
- +Heather Escamilla (+1): Sings in the choir at Newman. She is my neighbor, and we carpool to church sometimes. She has a live-in boyfriend named Gary.
- Jack Chalmers: A student who has math classes with me sometimes.
- ^*Jason Costello: Lived next door to me freshman year, now Ramon’s roommate on Hampton Drive. Liz and Caroline live upstairs.
- Josh McGraw (+3): Abby Bartlett’s boyfriend. My future roommate for year 3.
- Lindsay Vandenberg (-1): Jack Chalmers’ friend from high school whom I see often enough around campus to say hi to. For seven months, I thought her name was “Lizzie,” because Jack introduced us, and he talks really fast.
- ^*Liz Williams: Lived near me in the dorm freshman year, across the hall from Jason. Ramon’s girlfriend. Now lives with Caroline in an apartment just upstairs from Jason and Ramon’s apartment.
- *Kelly: A student from JCF, roommates with Haley and Kristina and three others. They live down the street from Eddie and his roommates.
- ^*Krista Curtis: Lives with Sarah. Lived downstairs from me in the freshman dorm.
- *Kristina: A student from JCF, roommates with Haley and Kelly and three others. They live down the street from Eddie and his roommates.
- +Matt Jones (+1): Sings at the Newman Center. His family and mine know each other back home, and he and Ryan Gambrell went to high school together.
- Megan McCauley (+1): When I lived in a dorm freshman year, Megan was an RA in a nearby building, and she was always friendly to me. She was my first older friend at UJ other than my own building’s RAs.
- *Mike Knepper: A student from JCF who I met freshman year, before I began attending JCF myself, because he lived in a nearby dorm and knew many of my friends.
- ^*Pete Green: Lives with Taylor and Charlie. Pete likes board games.
- ^*Ramon Quintero: Liz’s boyfriend. Lives in an apartment with Jason, downstairs from Caroline and Liz.
- ^Rebekah Tyler: She was in the same math class as me for my first quarter at UJ. She lived upstairs in my dorm.
- +Ryan Gambrell (+1): Sings at the Newman Center. He went to high school with Matt Jones (Catholic school), and his sister Annie went to my high school.
- +Sabrina Murphy (+1): Sings at the Newman Center. I was disappointed to find out that she has a boyfriend.
- ^*Sarah Winters: Lives with Krista. I guessed where she was from by the highways in her hometown.
- *Scott Madison (+1): Plays drums at JCF. Also a tutor at the Learning Skills Center, as am I.
- +*Sean Richards: One of the few students besides me who is somewhat involved with both JCF and the Newman Center.
- *Shawn Yang (+2): Lives in a house in south Jeromeville with Brian Burr and some other senior guys at JCF. He co-leads a Bible study that some of my friends are in, and he will be my roommate for year 3.
- ^Skeeter: Lives with Danielle, Theresa, and Bok. Her real name is Jennifer. She likes to paint and listen to weird music.
- *Tabitha: Attends JCF. She lived in the dorm next to mine freshman year; I met her that year through my friends who knew her, before I started attending JCF.
- ^*Taylor Santiago: Lives with Pete and Charlie, and enjoys deep philosophical discussions.
- ^Theresa Arnold: Lives with Bok, Skeeter, and Danielle.
- Tiffany Rollins: A student who has math classes with me sometimes. Megan was her RA freshman year.
- *Xander: A student who attends JCF, roommates with Eddie and six others. They live down the street from Haley and her roommates.
- Yesenia Fonseca (-1): The first student who ever had me as a tutor through the Learning Skills Center. She was in the Interdisciplinary Honors Program the year after I was.
- +Others from Newman: Claire Seaver (+1), Melanie (+1), Phil Gallo (-1)
- *Others from JCF: Alex McCann (+2), Autumn (-1), Christian Channing (+2), Dan Conway (+2), Jeanette, Joe Fox (+1), John, Kieran (-1), Lars (+1), Leah (-1), Melinda Schmidt (+1), Mike Kozlovsky (+2), Raphael Stevens, Todd (-1)
- Anton: A math professor for whom English is not his first language.
- Father Bill: The priest who says Mass at the Newman Center.
- Cheryl (+5): A part-time paid staff person at Jeromeville Christian Fellowship
- Dr. Collins: Instructor for physics.
- Dave (+10) & Janet (+8) McAllen: Full-time paid staff who lead Jeromeville Christian Fellowship. Janet once sat down with me and explained exactly what it means to follow Jesus, and how he died on the cross for our sins.
- Dr. Gabrielle (Gabby) Thomas: A mathematics professor who I had for Combinatorics. As of the end of year 2, my favorite professor at UJ.
- Sister Mary Rose: A nun who works with the Newman Center.
- Dr. Nancy McGillicuddy: Director of the IHP.
Friends from Plumdale:
- Annie Gambrell (-2): A student who was in a presentation that I filmed for a video production class. She has an older brother at UJ. I had a very unrequited crush on her for a while…
- Anthony: Renee’s boyfriend. He moved to Ohio for school.
- Catherine Yaras: A friend from my graduating class who spent senior year of high school in Austria as an exchange student.
- Jessica Halloran: A friend from my graduating class who decided to take time off after graduation and work in an orphanage in Guatemala. She is the oldest of six siblings; I also know the next younger one, Jamie (-3).
- Melissa Holmes: My crush from the later part of high school. We had a lot of classes together. She goes to school in San Angelo and lives with relatives there.
- Rachel Copeland (-1): A student who has a lot of friends in my year in high school. We stayed in touch fairly consistently after I left for Jeromeville, and I brought her to a roller hockey game.
- Renee Robertson: My prom date, shortly before she started dating Anthony. We had several classes together. She goes to Valle Luna State, where I visited her once for the day.
- Others: Allison LaPierre, Carol Allen (teacher), Jackie Bordeaux, Jason Lambert, Jennifer Henson, Ken Haley, Kevin Lee, Kim Jensen, Lisa Swan, Paul Dickinson, Rachelle Benedetti, Sandra Soto (-1)
Friends from the Internet:
- Mindy Jo (+3): from Georgia.
- Molly Boyle: from Pennsylvania.
- Brittany (-1): from Texas.