Year 3 (6/1996 – 6/1997)
Numbers in parentheses refer to the difference in school year compared to Greg. For example, when Greg is a junior , Amelia (+1) is one grade older, a senior, and Brent (-1) is one grade younger, a sophomore.
Some characters who are not a major part of the story are not listed, and last names are not always given if they are not mentioned in the story. This list will be updated as necessary.
- Greg Dennison: That’s me. I’m a student at the University of Jeromeville, in the western USA. I grew up in Plumdale, about 150 miles away.
Family and family friends
- Mark Dennison (-6): My younger brother.
- Harold and Peggy Dennison: My parents.
- Jane and Darrell Lusk: My aunt and uncle. Jane is my mom’s younger sister.
- Miranda Lusk (-5): My cousin, Rick’s sister, Aunt Jane’s daughter.
- Rick Lusk (-2): My cousin, Miranda’s brother, Aunt Jane’s son.
- Mark’s friends and teammates (-5 or -6): Cody Kaneko, Eric Kingston, John McCall, Matt “Boz” Bosworth, Nate Fisk, Ryan Lathrop (and others)
University of Jeromeville students:
* indicates students who attend Jeromeville Christian Fellowship. ^ indicates students who were in the Interdisciplinary Honors Program with me freshman year (and also in my dorm). + indicates students who attend the Newman Catholic Student Community. ~ indicates people who attend Jeromeville Covenant Church or one of its groups.
- *~Abigail (Abby) Bartlett: Josh McGraw’s girlfriend. Volunteers with The Edge, the junior high school youth group at J-Cov.
- *~Ajeet Tripathi (-1): A sophomore who attends JCF and J-Cov. He and Eddie knew each other back home.
- Alaina Penn: Attends University Life, another Christian group on campus.
- *~Amelia Dye (+1): Scott Madison’s girlfriend. Melinda Schmidt is her roommate, and they have a cat named Alvin.
- Andrea Briggs: A student who has math classes with me sometimes.
- *Autumn Davies (-1): A sophomore who attends JCF. She became a Christian during her freshman year.
- Ben Lawton: Attends University Life, another Christian group on campus. Occasionally attends Jeromeville Christian Fellowship.
- *~Brent Wang (-1): A student from JCF. He plays keyboard for the worship team.
- *Brian Burr (+2): A recent graduate from UJ who did high jump on the track & field team, and is now working on staff for Jeromeville Christian Fellowship part time while he applies to medical school. One of my roommates for this year.
- ~Brody Parker (-2): A freshman who attends J-Cov and volunteers with The Edge, the junior high school youth group. Brody has lived in Jeromeville since the middle of his childhood, and his family lives there.
- *~Cambria Hawley (-2): A freshman who attends JCF and J-Cov.
- ^*~Caroline Pearson: Currently Liz’s roommate, upstairs from Jason and Ramon. Caroline was born in Australia.
- Carolyn Parry: A soprano in University Chorus. Also attends University Life, another Christian group on campus.
- *Carrie Valentine (-2): A freshman who attends JCF.
- ^~Charlie Watson: He was at the other end of the hall in the dorm from me. We stayed friends through JCF and J-Cov.
- *~Courtney Kohl (-2): A freshman who attends JCF and J-Cov. Volunteers with The Edge, the junior high school youth group at J-Cov. She had been romantically linked with Mike Knepper but is now dating Brody Parker.
- ^+Danielle Coronado: Lived down the hall from me freshman year, now shares an apartment with Bok, Skeeter, and Theresa. Danielle sings in the UJ choir and at Mass at the Newman Center.
- *~Eddie Baker: A student who attends JCF and always has cool, well-connected roommates. He and Ajeet knew each other back home.
- *Evan Lundgren: My Bible study leader from JCF. He also grew up in Santa Lucia County, not far from me.
- *~Haley Channing: A student from JCF and my crush for a while. Haley’s older brother Christian just graduated from UJ.
- Jack Chalmers: A student who has math classes with me sometimes.
- *~”Barefoot” James (-1): A student from JCF and J-Cov who also volunteers with The Edge, the junior high school youth group. He almost never wears shoes.
- ^*~Jason Costello: Lived next door to me freshman year, now Ramon’s roommate on Hampton Drive. Liz and Caroline live upstairs. Also in University Chorus.
- ~Josh McGraw (+3): Abby Bartlett’s boyfriend and one of my roommates. He works odd hours, and I don’t see him often. Volunteers with The Edge, the junior high school youth group at J-Cov.
- *Lars Ashford (+1): A student from JCF who plays guitar in the worship team and has a quirky, unique style of dress.
- ^*~Liz Williams: Lived near me in the dorm freshman year, across the hall from Jason. Ramon’s girlfriend. Now lives with Caroline in an apartment just upstairs from Jason and Ramon’s apartment.
- *Kelly Graham: A student from JCF, currently studying abroad in Hungary.
- ^*~Krista Curtis: Lived downstairs from me in the freshman dorm.
- *Kristina Kasparian: A student from JCF.
- ~Martin Rhodes (+2): Attends Jeromeville Covenant Church. Volunteers with The Edge, the junior high school youth group at J-Cov.
- *~Mike Knepper: A student from JCF and J-Cov who I met freshman year, before I began attending those myself, because he lived in a nearby dorm and knew many of my friends.
- ~Noah Snyder: Attends Jeromeville Covenant Church. Taylor’s best friend from high school. Volunteers with The Edge, the junior high school youth group at J-Cov.
- ^*~Pete Green: Lived downstairs in my dorm freshman year, and leads worship for the college group at J-Cov. Pete likes board games.
- ^*~Ramon Quintero: Liz’s boyfriend. Lives in an apartment with Jason, downstairs from Caroline and Liz.
- *Raphael Stevens: Eddie’s roommate. They were dorm roommates two years ago, and Raphael painted a mural in their dorm that is still there today.
- ^*~Sarah Winters: Lived downstairs in my dorm freshman year; we have stayed friends through JCF and J-Cov. I guessed where she was from by the highways in her hometown.
- *~Scott Madison (+1): Plays drums at JCF. Also a tutor at the Learning Skills Center, as am I.
- +*Sean Richards: One of the few students besides me who is somewhat involved with both JCF and the Newman Center.
- *Shawn Yang (+2): My roommate; we share the master bedroom in our apartment. He was my Bible study leader last year. He runs marathons and triathlons.
- *~Tabitha Sasaki: Attends JCF. She lived in the dorm next to mine freshman year; I met her that year through my friends who knew her, before I started attending JCF.
- ^~Taylor Santiago: Lived in the same dorm as me freshman year. Enjoys deep philosophical discussions. Noah’s best friend from high school. Volunteers with The Edge, the junior high school youth group at J-Cov.
- *Xander Mackey: A student who attends JCF.
- Yesenia Fonseca (-1): The first student who ever had me as a tutor through the Learning Skills Center. She was in the Interdisciplinary Honors Program the year after I was.
- +Others from Newman: Carly Coronado (-1), Claire Seaver (+1), Ellen Stark, Heather Escamilla (+1), Matt Jones (+1), Melanie Giordano (+1), Phil Gallo (-1), Ryan Gambrell (+1), Sabrina Murphy (+1)
- *Others from JCF: Alex McCann (+2), Alyssa Kramer, Amy Kilpatrick, Clint, Jeanette, Jennifer Chong (-1), Jill Nguyen (-1), Joe Fox (+1), John Harvey, Jonathan Li, Kieran (-1), Leah Eckert (-1), Lorraine Mathews, Lydia Tyler (+1), Melinda Schmidt (+1), Mike Kozlovsky (+2), Sadie (-2), Sam Hoffman (+1), Todd Chevallier (-1)
- Others from elsewhere: ^Heather “Bok” Beck, ^Jennifer “Skeeter,” Lindsay Vandenberg (-1), Megan McCauley (+1), ^Rebekah Tyler, ^Spencer Grant, ^Theresa Arnold, Tiffany Rollins
Other people from Jeromeville:
- ~Adam White (+4): The youth pastor at Jeromeville Covenant Church.
- Anton: A math professor for whom English is not his first language.
- +Father Bill: The priest who says Mass at the Newman Center.
- *Cheryl (+5): A part-time paid staff person at Jeromeville Christian Fellowship
- ~Dan Keenan: The college pastor at Jeromeville Covenant Church.
- *~Dave (+10) & Janet (+8) McAllen: Full-time paid staff who lead Jeromeville Christian Fellowship. Janet once sat down with me and explained exactly what it means to follow Jesus, and how he died on the cross for our sins.
- Dr. Gabrielle (Gabby) Thomas: A mathematics professor who I had for Combinatorics. As of the end of year 2, my favorite professor at UJ.
- Dr. George Samuels: A mathematics professor who co-wrote a high school textbook and suggested that I look into teaching as a career.
- ~Erica Foster (-3): A senior at Jeromeville High School who attends Jeromeville Covenant Church. She volunteers with The Edge, the junior high school youth group, where her brother Danny is a student.
- Joseph White: A graduate student in computer science, who I knew as a TA.
- Sharon: A graduate student in music, the TA for University Chorus.
- +Sister Mary Rose: A nun who works with the Newman Center.
- Dr. Thomas Jeffs: A professor of music, the conductor for University Chorus.
- Thomas Kroger: A graduate student in computer science, who taught a lower-division computer science class I took.
- ~Kids from the youth groups at Jeromeville Covenant Church: Danny Foster, Samantha, Shawna, Ted Hunter, Zac
Friends from Plumdale:
- Annie Gambrell (-2): A student who was in a presentation that I filmed for a video production class. She has an older brother at UJ. I had a very unrequited crush on her for a while…
- Anthony Tejeda: Renee’s boyfriend. He moved to Ohio for school.
- Catherine Yaras: A friend from my graduating class who spent senior year of high school in Austria as an exchange student.
- Jessica Halloran: A friend from my graduating class who decided to take time off after graduation and work in an orphanage in Guatemala. She is the oldest of six siblings; I also know the next younger one, Jamie (-3).
- Melissa Holmes: My crush from the later part of high school. We had a lot of classes together. She goes to school in San Angelo and lives with relatives there.
- Rachel Copeland (-1): A student who has a lot of friends in my year in high school. We stayed in touch fairly consistently after I left for Jeromeville, and I brought her to a roller hockey game.
- Renee Robertson: My prom date, shortly before she started dating Anthony. We had several classes together. She goes to Valle Luna State, where I visited her once for the day.
- Others: Allison LaPierre, Carol Allen (teacher), Jackie Bordeaux, Jason Lambert, Jennifer Henson, Ken Haley, Kevin Lee, Kim Jensen, Lisa Swan, Paul Dickinson, Rachelle Benedetti, Sandra Soto (-1)
Friends from the Internet:
- Amy D. (+3): from Massachusetts. She jokingly calls herself my big sister.
- Laura Little (-3): from upstate New York, but currently an exchange student in Switzerland.
- Molly Boyle: from Pennsylvania.